Thursday, March 30, 2017

Review : Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff


"Krakow, the City of Kings, was no longer mine. I had become a foreigner in the place I had always called home."

September 1939. Overnight, Jewish nineteen-year-old Emma Bau's world is turned upside down when Germany invades Poland. And after only six weeks of marriage, her husband Jacob, a member of the Resistance, is forced to flee.

Escaping the ghetto, Emma assumes a new, Christian identity and finds work at Nazi headquarters. As secretary to the charismatic Kommandant Richwalder, Emma vows to use her unique position to gather intelligence for the Resistance, by any means necessary.

Poignant, affecting and gripping, Kommandant's Girl is the beautifully written story of one woman's struggle to survive one of the darkest periods in human history.







My Thoughts:
I gave this book a little over 150 pages try. And I just could not get into it, it felt like I was reading a text book. I had no emotions, not feeling, not nothing for anything happening in this book. This book did not make me feel anything. It was boring, Emma/Anna had not personality, she was boring. her husband left her to go play soldier to some resistance group , I was like WTF was that? you don't leave your Jewish wife like that during that time in Germany all alone so she could get killed by the Nazis. What would have happened to her if she did not go to the ghetto to find her parents? She probably would have been dead.
The Kommandant was boring too.
There was way too many descriptions. Every time Anna was walking on a street the author gave us the street name? Why? I don't need to know that.
This is a big 1 star rating for me.

View all my reviews


 

No comments :

Post a Comment