Monday, June 20, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Disappointing Sequels

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. 


This week's topic actually had to do with the 10 best books that we read this week. However, Mariela and I have been having an off year for books and haven't read enough to really take a good stab at that kind of list. Instead, we decided to write about sequels that disappointed us. 






OMG! This one pissed me off so much!

Of course The Infinite see will be in this list! So disappointed with this book. Read my review here.

This was sooo disappointing too! I could not believe what I was reading. Read my review here.

I just could not get into the rest of this series.










I really, really loved Rebel Belle. It was hilarious, and the characters felt fun and new. Miss Mayhem just seriously missed the mark for me. It wasn't as funny, and I was disappointed in Harper and the ending left a lot to be desired. I have heard that the last book really does a better job of hearkening back to the fun of the first book. 

After all of the ups and downs of the first three books in this series, I honestly was just tired of all of the drama and obstacles being thrown at the Shadow Hunters. At some point, we have to just give them a happy ending for all of the tears and crap they have been to. I would have preferred that happy ending to have been book 3, but Clare seems to want to squeeze every single last drop out of this world. 

It breaks my heart to have this one here, not just because it's the second time Derting has made this list. So let me say, I seriously love this series, and I seriously love Kimberly Derting. However, The Body Finder was one of my favorite books ever, and I hated how Violet and Jay stopped communicating as each book went on. I haven't finished this series, mostly because I just got so agitated with Violet keeping secrets, but I hope that by the end, they stopped being so stupid. 

I think this series requires A LOT of suspension of disbelief. I mean, these characters went through a lot, most of it incredibly unbelievable. However, I was along for the ride and loving it through book 1, a little bored of it in book 2 and by book 3, I just couldn't any more. 

Now, to be honest, I didn't even like book 1 in this series. I can't tell you why I felt the need to buy and then read book 2. I think because we were going to meet this author at a convention and I wanted to be able to tell honestly tell her I liked what she had written. Needless to say, I ended up skipping her line and wishing I hadn't wasted the money or time on the second book. 

25 comments :

  1. Great choice of topic :) I felt the same way about The Infinite Sea, kind of disappointed :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first book a lot. When reading this I felt so let down.

      Delete
  2. I gave up on the Touch Novel series as well. It felt like it just kept dragging on for me. Great list, Allyson and thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point, you have to ask yourself, how much trouble can one girl really get into? I was glad when it finally stopped, and someday I might finish it just to see how it ends!

      Delete
  3. Goodness, the design of your blog is BEAUTIFUL! I love the floral motif. It's GORGEOUS! Anyways, now that I'm done gushing, I have to share that Sierra, my co-blogger hasn't read any 2016 releases as well and has been suffering from recurrent reading slumps! It happens. We have the rest of our lives to read 2016. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks :) I tend to go a little overboard with the floral, but I just have a thing for flowers, I guess :p That's so true about the 2016 releases! Next year when it's time to do 2017s releases, we will probably have a whole list of 2016 releases we love by then :p

      Delete
    2. My goal for this year was to finish series that I have already started. But that isn't happening either. hahaha

      Delete
  4. The Infinite Sea had me going crazy. I begged my brother to hurry and read it, so I would have someone to complain to about it, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate when you don't have anyone to talk about a book with.

      Delete
  5. This is a really good topic! I've only read City of Fallen Angels from your list, and while I enjoyed it it, I think that Clare definitely should have left that series as a trilogy like it was originally intended. Now she's writing like a billion series in the Shadowhunter world and I think at some point you just need to stop.

    - Left @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, she def. should have stopped at the third book. I got tired of the Shadowhunter world.

      Delete
  6. Love this topic -- I actually haven't read any of these but nothing is worse than a disappointing sequel after a first great book!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, so sad to hear about the Infinite Sea! I really loved The 5th Wave. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that you enjoy it Maybe it was just me.

      Delete
  8. Great idea for a list this week :-) I agree about The One!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post!
    I haven't read quite a few of these - I do agree with the Cassandra Clare book - she should have stuck with the first three.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice idea! I haven't read a lot of these, but I guess I won't be picking them up any time soon 🙃 Great list!

    Christina @ Books & Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeep, I haven't read any of these! Except for the The mortal Instruments one and I loved that hahahah. Ahem. But I do find sequels have a huge tendency to be disappointing. :( Sometimes they feel like fillers waiting for the finale to happen?! Not fun.

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. I do that! Buy books by authors because I'm going to signings or what not and want to have something to say. I wasn't the biggest fan of JShirv's Embrace series. But I absolutely adored her Disruption duology. If you ever consider reading her again - I suggest Disruption. It's a bit more edgy and the main character is less annoying... :P

    Also, I kind of liked The One. The Selection series is like a car crash for me. It's horribly agonizing and so wrong but much like The Bachelor - I have to know what happens next. The fundamental premise of the One was off (seriously? After everything they went through they put their daughter through it too for nation morale?) but it entertained me in the same way the first book did.

    I loved the topic for your list this week! Nice twist :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pity about the disappointing books - especially those with the stunning covers. It makes me feel even more let down when the covers are beautiful and the book doesn't live up. PS I love the flowers on your design. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad to hear that you were disappointed with the Infinite Sea. I've yet to read Fifth Wave, but the premise has me interested. Hope I'll be enjoy it.

    Jamie @ Watch Game Read

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of these books, unfortunately, but it's always sad when a sequel is disappointing.

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had my eye on Deadly Little Games for a while now, but I don't know if I'll like it! :\
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've not read the "5th Wave" books, but did (surprisingly) like the film adaptation, so someday I might read the books. I still have to read the rest of Kiera Cass' (beginning with The One) novels, but that series is my "guilty pleasure" reads because they're so fun. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great topic! I've only read a few of these, but I actually quite liked them! I agree on City of Fallen Angels though, I had to put it down for a while before I could continue it. The second part of The Mortal Instruments just really wasn't good at all.

    ReplyDelete